- Diversity: Acknowledging and respecting human differences, including race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, professional background, experiences, physical abilities, religious beliefs, national origin, and political beliefs.
- Equity: Promoting fair treatment, access, opportunities, and advancement for all staff, while striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of certain groups in the past.
- Inclusiveness: Implementing practices or policies that include and value people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized. This includes people with different levels of abilities, backgrounds, and perspectives.
Unity in the Veterinary Community
A diverse professional circle enhances understanding of different cultures, beliefs, and perspectives, enriching the veterinary practice and improving care for all animal patients.
Steps Towards Building a Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive Workplace
- Be open-minded and non-judgmental.
- Learn about different cultures, traditions, and worldviews.
- Stand up against discrimination and stereotypes.
- Celebrate your colleagues’ identities and achievements.
- Actively listen and empathize with your colleagues’ experiences.
- Support participatory communication and the free flow of information and knowledge, fostering an open, inclusive environment.
The Power of DEI in Veterinary Workplaces
Workplaces that respect and celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusiveness can enrich our professional lives, improve patient care, and foster a more understanding and compassionate work environment.
very day is an opportunity to embrace diversity, practice equity, and cultivate inclusiveness. Together, in our veterinary workplaces, we can make a difference!
Download the FECAVA Unity in Diversity Infographic HERE.
Leave a reply